My experience with Crescent Moon tugs on my heart like the memory of a lost friend. Its structure created a magic circle around play where moments of unbridled joy, dreamlike surreality, melancholy and fear all sat in harmony. This is a trait shared by masterworks of the genre.
Crescent Moon ☾
A downloadable daydream
⚡️ An expansion + revised edition for Crescent Moon is on the way. Sign up here ! ⚡️
Go on a strange journey into the patchwork world of the daydream in Crescent Moon ☾, a feelings-delving role-playing game of brave children and bold adventures.
Rules for crafting your own whimsical tale full of breathtaking landscapes and unlikely friends await inside. Delve in to uncover stories of daring deeds and fantastical creatures—of calm afternoon naps and of promises whispered under starlight.
Will you find a way to travel out of the daydream?
What dangers will your shadows seed in your path?
How will you grow and change from your journey?
Take my hand and close your eyes. Let’s find out together.
- A world shaped by dreams. Play in the daydream, a vibrant land carved out of patchwork dreams and full of whimsical, grim creatures.
- Collect memories. Capture significant moments as memories, and use them later to uncover the daydream’s past, learn more about your friends, and unleash new powers and magic.
- Non-violent play. Solve problems by making smart use of your tools and coming up with cunning plans, not by slashing your way in and out of adventures
- An ever-shifting journey. Shape your playthrough by choosing a link type, each with its own themes to explore, worlds to craft, and special abilities to master. Will you traverse the daydream as a kind family, stranded survivors, radiant dreamers, or star-touched exiles?
- Hand-drawn inventory. The objects you carry matter. Items, spells, and even conditions (like exhausted, or frightened) come in the form of physical, colorful cards for you to write on and make your own.
What will I find inside?
- A fully illustrated, 60-page PDF with the core ruleset.
- Guidance, tables, and tools for playing and running the game over a full campaign.
- 3 playsets, each giving its own spin to the game and aiding you in creating a different kind of story. A fourth one is on the way as a free update!
- 4 seasonal playbooks for The Moon, each characterizing a different side of the daydream as it cycles through its lunar year.
- A handouts set containing rule reference sheets, campaign and safety trackers, and character sheets. A printer-friendly version is included.
- Item cards, both in printable and web format.
- How to play Crescent Moon online. A two-part article by yours truly.
- Want to keep up with future news about the game? Sign up to our newsletter for sporadic updates, release dates, and other fun happenings.
- Want to keep up with me? The disembodied entity behind this game? That's so kind of you. You can find my website here, my twitter here, and my Patreon here.
A third-party license for creating content or designing your own creations based off Crescent Moon ☾ is on the way. News coming soon!
A press kit for Crescent Moon is available over here. If you'd like to feature us in your podcast, actual play show, review site, or stream, feel free to contact Ema at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're happy to provide review copies, or to schedule some time to talk.
Physical Copies are now available through the our website! Visit Pocket Compass Co. to find both the standalone game and the full bundle. You can also find a list of independent retailers currently carrying the game over here.
In order to download this daydream you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of 12.35€ EUR. You will get access to the following files:
Support this daydream at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
Community Copies ★
If you're a member of a disadvantaged community, a student, or someone struggling with low-income or financial hardship, you're welcome to grab a free community copy by claiming one below.
New copies will be added periodically as I'm able to afford them.
If you can't afford the full price of the game but would still like to support me somehow, consider sending me a ko-fi as you grab a copy, and leaving a review of the game here on itch.
Alternatively, feel free to grab a copy by matching the game's price to a charity donation. Consider supporting ILGA Portugal, or another cause of your choice.
- The Exiles Expansion ✴️ Last 24 hours!Mar 31, 2022
- THE EXILES — Crowdfunding now!Mar 11, 2022
- Miro play templates + THE EXILES announcement!Feb 20, 2022
- 1.3 release! Shop open and physical copies available!Dec 20, 2021
- version 1.2 is here ~!Oct 14, 2021
- full game is out!Sep 30, 2021
- summer's end update + patreon announcement!Sep 01, 2021
- small update ~ creator day discountJul 21, 2021
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I saw that the kickstarter for the Exiles ended recently, but the page mentions the Exiles as a playable Link already, what does this mean? I really like the idea of the Exiles, but I don't know if I should wait until the page is updated with the Exiles content, or if it's already there and the kickstarter was just for a revised version.
Hello SinRyder! I'm afraid the game page is outdated in that section, as the base game doesn't include any support for The Exiles and the expansion must be bought separately. That said, you can find a free demo for the expansion over at https://pocketcompass.itch.io/exiles
While the Exiles' playkit is just a rough preview of the final game, you can feasibly get a game of it started in combination with base CM in the meantime 🙂
Hope that helps!
Are physical copies available somewhere, or have they been delayed? I'd like to put it on my Christmas list since it's first on my very short list of physical goods I want, but I don't see anywhere to buy it.
Hello! It depends a bit on where you're based. Copies to the US are unfortunately delayed until we sort out some customs paperwork, so at this point it might not be possible to have an order delivered before Christmas if you plan to get it from a North-American shop > <. That said, the good news are that European retailers (including myself!) are receiving the game now, which will pop up for sale in different storefronts over the remainder of the month. You can expect an update post on this page over the next 1-3 weeks with a list of all the stores where the game is available for purchase. Thanks for the patience!
I have never DM'd a game before, but something about this tickles me in such a way that I'm determined to overcome my anxiety and make this one my first DMing experience. I keep coming back to check if the physical copies are released yet. I'm so excited. <3
Best of luck with DMing this Breena! It was a big goal of mine to make the role of The Moon as easy to pick up as possible, so hopefully you won't find it overwhelming. Thanks for looking forward to the physical release, they are close ❤️️
It just pokes me right in whatever part of my brain first made me excited about gaming. Wondrous, fun, warm, and absolutely gorgeous.
Congrats to the new release. Is there a way we could get a single pages PDF instead of the spreads?
Sure! I'll add it right away. May I ask why you find the single pages version easier to use? I always read on spreads and am curious :o
I'm not the original commentor but in my case, I prefer single pages partly because the screen of my cheap tablet is too small to read in spreads without zooming in a lot. Another tiny reason is it's became a habit after reading e-books and research papers exclusively in single pages.
May I ask for single pages version of the handouts set as well, if it's possible?
Hey! That makes a lot of sense. In the case of the handouts, I'm afraid they're laid out in single A4 pages since they're meant to be printed out, so there's no way to divide them in half. Sorry!
Thank you very much!
I have not yet found a good way to print speads as a brochure. If I have single pages my printer allows me to make a nice A5 copy.
Ooo, "magical otherworld" is one of my favorite things in media, and I never did really like combat in TTRPGs, at least when it wasn't presented as a problem to solve. That's why I like casters, they get fun tools like "throw things quick" and "move dirt around" instead of just "hit with axe." I'm going to keep an eye on this.
Ooooooohhhh, I just saw the description of The Dreamers and... oof, that's a little... too accurate to me. I've got a bit of a problem with escapism, I think. I'm one of the people that sees "may you have an interesting life" as a blessing, not a curse.
I love your game. I'm the creator of Inspirisles. Question: How did you set up pre-orders? I can't find the way to do it anywhere.
just like that !
Reading the Quickstart makes me truly excited for the book.
Beyond the wonderful art and layout, Crescent Moon is also delightfully written. I truly appreciate its gentle voice, that clearly guides the reader on the principles and flow of play. It reminds me of Quest, Wanderhome, but Crescent Moon also impresses me with how it develops a unique, possibly deep system of play.
I'm following this project for sure.